Do you remember the movie 13 Going on 30? Where Jennifer Garner goes from a 13-year-old girl in 1987 to a 30-year-old woman in 2004 after wishing she was older. Apart from her fabulous wardrobe (who didn’t love the 80’s?!), there are many lessons we learned in that movie. Firstly, don’t wish your life away, secondly pay attention to how you treat other people and thirdly, never let go of the child within you. In life, as we get older, there are so many experiences that shape who we are. And so, if you could give your younger self any advice, what would you tell her?
There are so many things we wish we could tell our younger selves:
- “Never stop hustling, babe, because you will reach your goals.”
- “Meet new people. Make friends.”
- “Always be grateful. And while you’re at it, start a gratitude journal.”
- “Always be kindhearted and help other people – even (perhaps especially) those who won’t necessarily help you.”
- “Travel the world!”
- “Step out of your comfort zone.”
- “Decide exactly what you want for your life and let go of anything that distracts you, stops you, and holds you back from creating the life you deserve.”
- “Be ambitious, get sh*t done. Keep your priorities straight, your mind right and your head up.”
- “Take that leap of faith.”
- “Let go of negative people in your life. If someone doesn’t bring joy into your life, they don’t belong there.”
- “Never take your parents for granted. They love you endlessly.”
- “Be a little kinder to yourself.”
- And lastly: “No one can beat you at being you” from one of our favourite female entrepreneurs, Leandie du Randt.
Now, when it comes to business, advice in the early stages of entrepreneurship is also extremely valuable. We recently asked our community on Instagram, ‘What advice would you give to someone who is just starting their own business?’ The feedback and responses we received gave us goosebumps. Take a read below!
- “Just f*cking go for it. This is the only way to truly take responsibility for your own life/career. It’s 100% on you.”
- “Bet on yourself, know that you can do it. If you don’t bet on yourself or believe in yourself, don’t expect others to do it.”
- “Start now. Put yourself first. Always. Self-care is the fuel you need to get where your ambition is guiding you!”
- “Be patient with yourself and never stop working at it, no matter what obstacles you come across. Obstacles are building blocks and lessons to your goal!”
- “Just do it. Enjoy the process and never compare your own business to others.”
- “Don’t take things personally. This is harder said than done when everything about starting a business is personal, but try and keep your chin up when things get hard. Know that it’s part of the process.”
- “Take any and every opportunity you get to promote your business to relevant audiences.”
- “Rest and enjoy the process. Don’t compare yourself to the end vision, keep it in mind but enjoy the growth…”
The good news is that, even though you’re not 13 going on 30 anymore, you can still use the advice you would give your younger self today. You will never stop learning, so listen to your own advice and always remember – “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” – John Lennon.